Set up a digital audio workstation to create your music.
A digital audio workstation, or DAW, is a computer setup and software program that you use to make your music. Even if you plan to only record instruments instead of creating music digitally, you still need to know how to use a program that will allow you to record, layer, alter, and mix the sounds so it sounds good.
- Download a program to your computer to start building your workstation.
- Popular DAWs you can purchase include FL Studio, Bitwig, and Pro Tools.
- Many DAWs include tutorials that will teach you how to use them.
Create a studio space so you can record.
The right studio environment can help both you and any producers, musicians, or artists you collaborate with come up with new and exciting music. Set up a studio that has all of the equipment and instruments that you’ll need. Make the studio space comfortable so both you and the people you work with enjoy working there.
- Make the recording space soundproof so your recordings are high quality.
- Have comfy chairs and couches so you can relax while you’re working.
Come up with a catchy rhythm and hook.
A hook is a short riff or musical sound that makes a song catchy and good. Whether you’re playing an instrument or making a beat on using a digital program, start writing a song by coming up with a hook or rhythm that you can use to guide the rest of your song creation.
- Play around with different sounds until you find something that you like.
- Listen to other music to come up with interesting combinations.
- Remix a classic song into something brand new. For instance, you could sample vocals from a church choir and add them to a catchy electronic dance beat.
Add a drum section to the track to give a beat to the song.
You can use a recording program to add drum samples and loops or you can record a drummer playing on a drumset. Add the percussion layer to your track to give a cadence and tempo to the rhythm and hook.
- Make sure the beat makes sense with the rhythm. For example, if you’ve got a fast-paced punk rock guitar riff as a hook, you’ll want a fast kick and snare to go along with it.
Write lyrics that suit the mood of the music.
Come up with lyrics that fit the rhythm of your song and match the overall mood of the melody. For instance, if the song is low and sad, the lyrics should match the feeling conveyed by the music.
- Try singing the words or having a singer use them to see how they sound out loud.
- Have a friend who writes poetry or lyrics try to come up with some for your songs.
Collaborate with other musicians to make new music.
Bring in other singers and musicians to add layers to your songs. Working together with other people on a song will bring different tastes, styles, and talents that can produce new and unique sounds.
- Reach out to musician friends or acquaintances to see if they’re interested in working on a project with you.
- If you need a specific musician, like a drummer or guitar player, you can pay one to come to your studio and work with you. Look online or contact other studios for information about hiring a musician.
Use the internet to broadcast your music to the world.
In today’s world, you don’t necessarily need the support or backing of a large record label to get your music heard. The internet allows you to upload and spread your music so it can be heard by millions of people all over the world. If you’re trying to get yourself and your music heard, use the internet to put it all out there.
- Use websites like Bandcamp, Soundcloud, and YouTube to upload your songs so you can share them with other people.
- Create social media pages for your music and put your songs on there so they can be heard and shared by listeners.